Monday 21 June 2010

The One with the Cook, the Beef, her knife and some others.

I've been a bit grumpy. I can't explain why and I can't justify it. My darling husband could do no right and bless him he'd done no wrong (his name has been, ever since we first got together, prefixed with "Poor Old" by friends and family, mostly in reference to having to put up with me. This was something I used to question but of late I can understand why!)

So having spent large portions of last week with a face liked a smacked arse (I blame Fabio myself. For god sake man just play Joe Cole) I needed to cheer up. And fast!

This was provided by a top weekend (England's result and performance to one side). An unexpected and impromptu meal and afternoon with friends on Friday, another friends baby's christening on Saturday (which did include one smacked arse moment when I got really cold in the garden. I'll call that a one cheek wobble) and then hubbies first Fathers day on Sunday.

My first Mother's day was a bit of a blur. I'd only had the boy two weeks previously and was still in a mild state of shock but yesterday we all really enjoyed. My boys played together all day while I roasted a huge piece of beef, chopped veg, tossed salad and made bread and butter pudding. My parents arrived and when we all sat down to eat I realised this was the first time since having the lad that I had cooked a meal for, what we like to call in this neck of the woods, "company".

Once you've done something once you know you can do it again. Next time it might not go as swimmingly as it did yesterday afternoon but I know I can do it. And that's what matters. I can cook for people again. I can entertain. And that's cheered me up no end.

That and having a fridge full of leftovers.......

No comments:

Post a Comment